Interior designers are also known as spatial designers are professionals who design or renovate the internal spaces which include furnishings, structural alterations, fixtures and fittings, colour schemes and lighting. A career in Interior Designing includes working in a range of different domestic, leisure or commercial settings. The role combines with an efficient and functional use of space along with aesthetical understanding. Some interior designers in the domestic market can only be specializing in the visual appearance of design rather than structure. They work with the placement of elements, colors and creative touches majorly active in cities with lavish lifestyles such as Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Gurgaon and Kolkata.
Role of an Interior Designer:
- Develop design ideas and gather key information about potential projects.
- Discuss requirements with clients and understanding the concept to establish final briefs.
- Manage budget and costs according to material and negotiate project fees.
- Gather information and photographs relating to the product.
- Produce ‘mood’ or ‘sample’ boards for clients.
- Prepare detailed drawings of models, schemes, designs, plans often by using computer software such as CAD.
- Survey and study buildings.
- Supervise work on-site and at design stage.
- Keep up with the developments in design industry.
In addition to all the above, one may hold the responsibility of a project manager and will walk-through the client for the construction stage. It can involve coordinating with on-site designing and managing with the construction team.
Salary in Interior Designing
- Starting salary for junior designers can be expected around 20,000 INR.
- Senior interior designers can expect above 50,000 per month with bonus incentives.
Working hours for an Interior Designer
Typically, a designer works based on the hours and not shifts, thus one can expect evening and weekend work. The role of a designer is very important in larger constructions and developments so the flexibility of working hours is an understandable element. Some also work part-time and freelance which is nowadays a good income occupation.
What to expect
- Most of the interior designers work in studios or if they are freelancing they rent studios or make one in their home.
- In India, metropolitan cities attract most of their population with growing demand and sparkling job opportunities.
- Meeting deadlines and squeezing within the budget can be two major challenges in this field.
- Projects are sometimes from outer states which require frequent travelling.
Qualification for Career in Interior Designing
A four-year degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) with a specialisation in Interior Design will provide a strong base to begin with. The entry qualification for these courses are candidates who have passed 12th with an aggregate of 55% in Maths/Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English. With this minimum qualification, one can also pursue diploma courses or certificate course by private institutions.
Skills required for Career in Interior Designing
You will need to have some of the following skills to enter this industry:
- High level of technical knowledge in software such as CAD.
- Drawing skills including perspective writing.
- Imagination and creativity.
- Management skills including meeting deadlines, pressure and team association.
- Finance, business and marketing skills.
These days, the competition to get a good opportunity at making a career in interior designing at a designing firm is very tough. It’s vital to showcase your work and network during your graduate years as it will help you get your career started. It is very much unusual in this field for employers to provide internships or traineeships so it is strongly advised to have a speculative approach.