Ragging is totally prohibited in Lovely Professional University and anyone found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging, whether actively or passively, or being a part of a conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009 as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force.
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Including in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is like to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it; sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, email, post, public insults, which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, the vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
Anti Ragging Committee of the university nominated and headed by the Vice Chancellor and consists of representatives of civil and police administration, local media, non-governmental organisations, faculty members, parents of students, fresher students and senior students, non-teaching staff, and the Registrar of the University acts as Member Secretary of the Anti Ragging Committee. This Committee shall ensure compliance of the provisions of the UGC regulations on curbing the menace of ragging and also monitor and oversee the performance of Anti-Ragging Squad in the prevention of ragging in the university.
Image credits: voxiitk.com