Chemical Engineering is one of the new fields of engineering that involves designing and processing of industrial chemical manufacturing. Chemical Engineers conduct research and develop processes of manufacturing chemicals. They should be skilled in chemistry, fuels, polymers, petroleum & its products and should be well acquainted with their properties. Chemical engineers are widely sought-after in rubber, petroleum, fertilizer, and paper manufacturing industries. Here’s an insight into the scope of Chemical Engineering.
Career and Scope in Chemical Engineering
- To become a Chemical Engineer, students should pursue B Tech in Chemical Engineering from a reputed university. Students who have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in 10 + 2 are eligible to pursue this course.
- B Tech Chemical Engineering focuses on learning chemical processes, thermodynamics, physical chemistry, fertilizers and their application in the industry.
- Various job profiles that suit chemical engineers are that of Analytical Chemist, Mining Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Health and Security Supervisor and, Researcher.
- Manufacturing industries employ chemical engineers to improve the production process, reduce inefficiency, maintain safety standards, minimize manufacturing cost, and evaluate various types of equipment.
- Various top MNCs and organizations that hire chemical engineers are Reliance Industries, HPCL, IOCL, NPCIL, ONGC, CIL, etc.
- The average salary of a Chemical Engineer in India is INR 4.3 lac per annum. Salary depends on experience, skill, designation as well as on employer.
Skills Required in Chemical Engineering
Depending on the job role you choose, there are certain skills that you should imbibe in yourself to grow faster in your career.
- As a project manager, you must have a good problem solving and resources management abilities. Furthermore, good interpersonal skills can prove beneficial since as a project manager, you’ll be required to work in a team.
- A good knowledge of concepts related to chemical engineering like thermodynamics, heat transfer, chemical processes, fertilizer technology, etc, as well as thorough knowledge of equipments involved can be handy.
- As a proess development researcher/ scientist, one must have an expertise in critical thinking.
Why Choose LPU for Chemical Engineering
- Studying at LPU School of Physical Sciences with students from across the world will open you up to new environments.
- Talented students can benefit from student exchange programmes and study abroad for some part of their programme.
- You’ll get the chance to be a part of interactions with world renowned scientists, CEOs and leaders from your industry giving you a pre-hand exposure to the field.