Smriti Irani, a former Indian daily soap actress, has now become one of the powerful politicians. She is a powerful personality. Her life has been a constant struggle as controversies always surround her. However, she has never given up and always managed to come out stronger and better. We never thought that a daily soap actress could become the Tigress of Indian Politics in the future. This article will list some interesting and unknown facts about Smriti Irani that will make you say wow!
- Smriti Irani was born on March 23, 1977, to a Punjabi family. Smriti Malhotra is her maiden name. She is married to Zubin Irani, a Parsi, and they have two children, Zohr and Zoish. She graduated from the Holy Child Auxilium School in New Delhi and held a degree from Delhi University.
- Smriti Irani was the country’s first representative at the Monte Carlo Television Festival and was also appointed as Goodwill Ambassador to India by USAID for the WHO-ORS program for three years.
- Smriti Irani had applied for a position as an air hostess at Jet Airways but was turned down. To support herself, she began waiting tables at a popular fast-food restaurant. Smriti Irani started her acting career as one of the beauty pageants Miss India participants in 1998. Later that year, she appeared in a song “Boliyan” of the “Sawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” with Mika Singh. In 2000 she debuted with “Aatish” and “Hum Kal Aaj Aur Kal”.
- Smriti Irani is popularly known for her performance as TV’s best-loved Bahu, Tulsi, in Ekta Kapoor’s “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.” Her performance was soo much loved by the Indian audience that she received nine awards for her role, including 5 consecutive Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress and 4 India Telly Awards, WHICH IS A RECORD!
- Since she was a child, Smriti Irani had been a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) because her grandfather was an RSS Swayamsevak. In 2004, she was appointed vice president of the Maharashtra Youth Wing after joining the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2003.
- Smriti Irani faced defeat when she ran against Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi constituency of Uttar Pradesh in the 2014 General Election. However, in the 2019 General Election, she defeated Rahul Gandhi to win the Amethi constituency.
- Smriti Irani’s Bachelor’s degree has brought her terrible fortune. In the 2004 Lok Sabha elections, she declared her degree as B.A. from Delhi University, whereas in the 2014 elections, she declared her degree as B. Com. The qualification gap in two nominations has caused her a slew of issues. She also had to go to court over a degree dispute. Smriti Irani also jeopardized her position as Minister of Human Resources and Development due to controversy.
- In 2014, Smriti Irani directed Kendriya Vidyalaya’s to remove German from their curricula and replace it with Sanskrit. She founded her own NGO, ‘People for Change,’ in 2007. ‘People for Change’ has issued sports scholarships in Nasik and drinking water projects in rural India that include borewells.