I don’t know which category of people you belong to, but I am one of those who really care about saving our planet. No, I am not a scientist or a social worker. I am just a student who makes small efforts in her daily life to play her part in different ways. You might think that individual efforts are negligibly effective, but, remember, little drops of water make a mighty ocean. Let’s see how we can help save the planet by doing little things in daily life.

Switch Off The Electrical Appliances When Not In Use
Many people tend to leave the tube lights, fans and television switched on even when they’re not in use. That’s absolute wastage of electricity and it should be immediately stopped.
Also, many appliances like mobile phone chargers and computers still consume electricity when they’re simply plugged in. So, don’t just switch them off, also unplug them to avoid extra electricity consumption.

Save The Magic Liquid!
97% of the water on the Earth is salty and not fit for consumption. Out of the remaining 3%, only 1% is available for drinking. Thus, our water supply is finite. I don’t know about you, but it really scares me. Let’s switch from showering to using bucket and mug. Not leaving the tap open and getting the leaking taps fixed are other measures that will help.

Don’t Feed Your Dustbin
About 800 million people in the world sleep empty stomach every day, according to the UN. Now, recall how much food you have wasted till this day, and think how many such people could have been served with that food.

Slow Down A Bit
Switching from a speed of 70 miles/hour to that of 50 miles/hour can help you save 25% of the fuel. Japan is famous for the “Mottainai mentality”, which means “nothing is to be wasted”. This makes them use bicycles as their local transportation system, instead of fuel-driven vehicles. This way, they’re saving the environment from the clutches of pollution and we can surely learn from them.

Refuse, Or At Least Reuse Plastic Bags
Plastic bags, as we know, are non-biodegradable and cause severe soil pollution. A number of cows consume these plastic bags if they contain food, which chokes them to death. We should refuse plastic bags, or if that’s too difficult, we should at least reuse them.

Plant A Tree Whenever You Can
That doesn’t require much explanation, all of us know how important it is for us to keep our surroundings green. Planting a tree neither takes much time, nor much money. It instead gives a lot in return. So, let’s plant trees whenever we can.

Be Kind To All, Including Animals
You may not love animals or may not be so fascinated by them, but that doesn’t give you the license to treat them like trash. Just like human beings want to be loved, animals also do. We should be kind to them and help them in small ways as they already live difficult lives.
We may not be capable of undoing the wrongs that have been done to our planet, but together, we have the power to make the future much better than we can now imagine it to be. Let’s strive to play our part from today!


-Sakshi Aneja

“On the constant Mission of Wisdom Discovery. Philophile, Nyctophile and immensely Philozoic. Using my Pen to fill Life into the Plethora of my Thoughts, I am a Learner, a Music Lover and a Kid at Heart.”